Wednesday, July 20, 2011

1 in 4 Girls, 1 in 6 Boys...

Will experience some kind of unwanted sexual contact before the age of 18. I've repeated that figure so many times, that I think I'm numb to what it means. Yet, last night as I finished the Erin Merryn book "Stolen Innocence" I was starkly reminded. At the end of the book, there is a chapter written by her mother. Her mother too, had been sexually abused as a child.

What?!!

That was my reaction. I was shocked to say the least.  If the mother had a similar experience I would have thought she would have been more aware, would have known how to prevent, would have seen the signs. But she didn't .. which underscores yet again the secret, the shame, the misinformation and  that WE NEED TO START TALKING ABOUT THIS TO OUR CHILDREN!

I did get the chance to speak to my girls principal yesterday, and he is open to having a discussion with me. I sent him the education information that I found on the SASSNH website. I hope we get to speak soon about getting their programs into my girls's school. I talk to my girls about this all the time, I just pray I am saying the right things.. and I pray that other parents are doing the same.

~ Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment