Monday, October 3, 2011

The Teal Ribbon

If you're a football fan you couldn't help but notice all the teams wearing a bit of pink during Sunday's game in support of Breast Cancer Awarenes. So, of course, me being me, I complained to my friends as we watched the Pats beat Oakland  "They should be wearing Teal!".  Yes, Suzanne.. step up to your soap box.. as one of my friends said but  "Breast Cancer actually kills people". Well guess what, so does childhood sexual abuse! It kills the child, taking away their innocence; the suicides the substance abuse the repercussions! Childhood sexual abuse takes away the person that the abused child would have become.

I posted awhile back that the number of adults who are survivors of childhood sexual abuse is greater than the number of any one disease. And yet, sexual abuse is easier to prevent - we just need to educate our communities and our children!

So why aren't we??? Because no one wants to talk about it. It's too hard to conceive, to hard to believe that this is happening to our precious children. But think about it, I'm sure there must have been a time when we didn't want to talk about a disease involving the ta-tas, or AIDS or the prostate. But we do now, and we are trying to prevent and cure them!.. So, I promised Joel that in 5 years he'd see more of the teal ribbon.. hey maybe even at a football game :)

~ Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment